KULM HOTEL ST. MORITZ

5 stars superior
Wellness, restaurants and winter dream

The Kulm Hotel St. Moritz is a luxury hotel with a remarkable heritage. Learn about the origins of winter tourism and the history of this establishment, which dates back 160 years.

1856 Pension Faller
First hotel in St. Moritz
Johannes Badrutt and his wife acquired Pension Faller - today's Kulm Hotel St. Moritz - with 12 rooms at CHF 200 per year. It is the first hotel in St. Moritz and the later birthplace of winter tourism. Four years later, the hotel was extended by two floors. Battlements and towers gave the house a palace-like appearance.
1864 Bet
The legendary bet
Badrutt invited his regular British summer guests to experience the winter in St. Moritz. He suggested that should they do not like it, he would reimburse them. The guests came for Christmas and stayed until Easter. On departure, everyone was tanned, healthy, and happy. Today's winter tourism was born.
1886/87 West Wing & Hotel Lobby
Introduction Hotel Lobby
The west wing was built in collaboration with architect Nicolas Hartmann, and the concept of a hotel lobby was introduced, which cannot be omitted in any hotel. Toilets, hydraulic elevators, as well as heating and electric ventilation, were also installed.
1878 First electric light in Switzerland
Electric light in the Grand Restaurant
The first electric light illuminated the Grand Restaurant of the Kulm Hotel. In 1878, Badrutt and his son visited the world exhibition in Paris, where the first arc lamps were presented. Immediately after his return, he built a hydroelectric power plant to light the house for Christmas.
1880 Curling Club
St. Moritz Curling Club
The St. Moritz Curling Club was founded on the premises of the Kulm Hotel.
1884 Cresta Run & Sunny Bar
Sunny Bar – The oldest sports bar in the Alps
Construction of the legendary Cresta Run on the premises of the Kulm Hotel – a natural ice channel for skeleton. The oldest sports bar in the Alps, the Sunny Bar, opened its doors and is still home to the Cresta riders today.
1885 St. Moritz Tobogganing Club
Establishment of the St. Moritz Tobogganing Club
The St. Moritz Tobogganing Club, which was associated with the Cresta Run, was founded.
1889 First public telephone network
The hot wire
Johannes Badrutt's last pioneering act: The first public telephone network with 24 local connections in Switzerland was installed in the Kulm Hotel. After the death of the hotel pioneer, his son Peter Robert Badrutt founded Badrutt & Cie, which was renamed to AG Grand Hotels Engadiner Kulm in 1905.
1891 Bob Run & Kulm Golf
The highest golf course in the Alps
Construction of the Olympic Bob Run, a natural ice channel and venue of World Cups and Olympic Games until today. In the same year, the hotel’s 9-hole Kulm Executive Golf Course was built - the highest golf course in the Alps.
1912 Neukulm
Opening of the East Wing
The east wing, known as Neukulm, was opened.
1928 Winter Olympics
Olympic Games in the Kulm Park
The first Olympic Winter Games in St. Moritz. The opening ceremonies, as well as figure skating and ice hockey competitions, took place in the Kulm Park.
1935 - 1956 Reopening of Neukulm
Reopening of Neukulm
Anton Robert Badrutt took over the management of the Kulm Hotel and re-opened the Neukulm during the Second World War.
1948 Winter Olympics
Olympic Games in the Kulm Park
The second Olympic Winter Games in St. Moritz. The opening ceremonies and various sports events took place in the Kulm Park.
1956 Change of ownership
New hotel management
Albert Ernst-von-Pfyffer purchased the Kulm Hotel, and Fred Herrling took over the management of the hotel until 1972. In 1968, another change of ownership took place: Dr. Peter Robert Berry III and Stavros Niarchos bought the Kulm Hotel when Club Mediterannée signalled purchase interest.
1972 - 2002 Heinz Hunkeler took over
Expansion of the Kulm Hotel
Heinz Hunkeler took over the management of the Kulm Hotel. He initiated the construction of the Kulm swimming pool in 1971, the Chesa Al Parc in 1986 with the sports field, consisting of 3 tennis courts and the ice rink in winter, as well as Residence I in 1988, consisting of 13 luxury apartments, conference rooms, and the parking garage.
1993 Renovation entrance lobby
The entrance receives a face lift
Renovation of the hotel entrance and lobby. Decoration in "Trompe l'oleil" style by Renzo Mongiardino.
1997 Expansion of the Kulm Spa
New sparkle for the Kulm Spa
Expansion of the Kulm Spa to 1'400 m2 with saunas, steam bath, brine grotto, whirlpool, fitness room, and treatment rooms, including renovation of the swimming pool.
2001 Redesign of Kulm Golf
New lustre for Kulm Golf
Redesign for the hotel's Kulm Executive Golf Course, 9-hole.
2002 - 2013 Godat took over
Renovations and extensions
Dominique Nicolas Godat took over the management of the Kulm Hotel. In 2003, he initiated the construction of Residence II, with 21 luxury apartments and redesigned and renovated the Sunny Bar.
Furthermore, 26 rooms were remodelled in local Engadine style by 2005, and in 2009 the Kulm’s main kitchen was completely renovated. Furthermore, new windows and elevators were installed throughout the hotel. In 2012, the Kulm Spa was redesigned, renovated, and extended to 2'000 m2.
2013 - today New Era
The Hunkelers take over
Heinz E. Hunkeler, son of Heinz Hunkeler, and his wife Jenny took over the management of the Kulm Hotel. To this day, they initiated the new concept, turning the restaurant "Rotisserie des Chevaliers” into the gourmet restaurant the K, and in 2015 the renovation of the Neukulm wing with 26 rooms and suites in cooperation with star architect Pierre-Yves Rochon. They supported local horse sports events and art with the Pop-Up Kulm U-Boot Bar in 2014 and the "Trojan Horse" artwork 2016, 2017 and 2018.